Sunday, November 09, 2014

Pre-war Lionel Lamp post

Whenever you buy a box full of old Lionel junk, there is a fair chance that you will be treated with a pre-war Lionel lamp post. The lamp post itself is nice. It has a sleek design and it is made out of cast iron with off-white plastic cap.The reason why you will get it for free in Europe is that the bajonet light bulbs have died and these need to be sourced from over the pond. Nobody bothers, so basically you get it for free.

Yesterday, one of my original lamp posts died and I checked to see that the bajonet light bulb had experienced some kind of mercury explosion inside. Well, that is ready for the separate collection of household chemicals.
 To rescue the lamp post, I removed the original socket holder and soldered a new E5.5 socket holder inside. This is for small light bulbs that are ubiquitous in Europe, so I can enjoy my lamp post for many years to come.


No comments: