Monday, June 05, 2006

Slow progress with the layout



During the last weeks I bought two tin buildings: one switch tower from unknown German brand and a small platform from Hornby. I also cleaned some semaphores and the lantern and put them along the tracks. With the Metcalfe freight shed and the self-build station, it finally starts to look a little bit like a layout. There is still much to do, but some progress is being made.
The station was made from Balsa wood, matches, paper and paint. It probably took me 2 years, but little by little, I made finished it. The most dreadful was cutting out the roof tiles from paper. In the end I really wanted to stop, but luckily I did finish it. Inside there are five small light bulbs. Let's hope that I will never have to replace them, because they are glued in.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your real neat web site. I have a collection that comes from my early years in the 1950, some of the sets are 1930 and 40, I have constructed a wall hanging whistle stop made of old barn boards from the early 30 and 40's with original weathered paint. This is 6.5 ' long and holds a 1666 engine tender,653,655,654,656,657& an unnumbered log car. I have fashoned the backround with a Hotel,general store, Livery hardware and heavy duty platform, coal livery station with shoots, water tower and switch station, all made of the same old field rusted and weathered boards and cans taken from the fields of Minnesota. This has displayed my old set since 1976 and I am very proud of it. I can appreciate you work in restoration of the items you have displayed. It has come to my attention that my family has no intrest in my collection and has asled me to reduce the items I do have can you suggest a way I can find a good home and not just an e bay mass sale? Bob LDConcepts@comcas.net
Thanks