Monday, April 14, 2008

The crossing

I finally got the crossing working and to prove it, here is a video. The bell still needs to be added (so I added a fake train bell for the video) and a small house needs to be build to cover all the electrics and the wires. But is works. When a train approaches the spring under the rails is compressed and a contact is made triggering the Lemax crossing lights (#34954) to function. After the train passed the spring pushes the rails back up again.
This set-up is clearly not finished yet, but I am happy that it works.
By the way, these Lemax crossing lights (that are easily available in Europe during the X-mas season) are the same as those once sold under the K-line brand. Probably they originate from the same Chinese factory.
The reason why the lights are still not fixed on the ground plate is that my layout is a folding table and I need to unplug them before I fold the layout table back against the wall. I connected them with a simple hole-pin system, but I need to fill the holes a bit more to get a tighter fit.

1 comment:

Francesco Villani said...

WOW eggo !!! this is great !!! the fake sound is fabolous on this video :-) hope you insert a real ringing sound !!! i bouth a set of gas lamp by lemax, i love his winter wonderland and more items can be applied to our trains... the price is great !!!
great job eggo and happy railroading :-)

francesco