Sunday, December 05, 2010

Lionel 289E running

Although it was already late and the light conditions poor, I did try to make a small video to show the Lionel 289E engine running. One of the last issues I faced with this engine were the smooth and slippery drive wheels. On many 027 curves and slopes the wheels just spun hopelessly. Some friends advised me to roughen the wheels. I tried by scratching the wheels, but still they spun on the track. Then I applied a 3 mm wide strip of duck tape on both the rear drive wheels and that seems to do the job.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

WAS THE 289 E TRAIN FROM 1937??

lionel lines fan said...

Well all the books state that the 289E was only produced and sold in 1937. Furthermore, my grandfather did sail in New York in that year, so that all makes it clear. The engine has witnessed quiet some history, but is now optically, mechanically and electrically in a as new condition. The state in which I received the engine was far from ideal, but I am happy that it is back in its former glory. I am planning to make some new videos when I have my new layout sorted out, but that will take a few months.
Greetings
Eggo

Anonymous said...

Everything is very open with a very clear clarification of the
challenges. It was definitely informative. Your site
is very useful. Thanks for sharing!