Sunday, September 08, 2013

Doetinchem Stoomstad 2013

During the weekend of August 24 to 25th a steam fest was held and the organisation asked me to run some old toy trains. I had several months to prepare myself and choose for two ovals of pre-war Lionel trains.
The inner circle was classic 027 Lionel tubular track, the outer circle was modern Merkur tubular track. The streamlined engine was composed of the 1668E - 1679T - 1630 - 1630 -1631. The freight train was composed of the 1664E - 1679T - 652 - 651 - 1679 - 1680 - 657.
Two toy trains ran almost continuously; one freight train and a passenger train. They performed great. The 1668E suffered from a loose wire from the E-unit and was replaced after a day by a 1688E. Since it were original cotton-insulated wires, it is no wonder that it malfunctioned. I will have to rewire the engine.
It was funny to notice that most visitors did not recognise these toy trains. Some said that they were "Märklin" or "very old Märklin". I had explain quiet a lot, but that is just fine to me.
 Perhaps I have to organise a slightly larger table the next time...
Most of my public were young children; 3-6 years of age. They had never heard the rattle, seen the colours and smelled ozone of old metal toy trains on tubular tracks. What a joy to see these wide open eyes and mouths...
After two days of continuous service, I was more than satisfied with the reliable performance of these pre-war engines and I am glad to have shown some good old toy trains to a younger generation.
For some other pictures of the steam fest, see the site of Achterhoekfoto.

No comments: