Sunday, October 11, 2015

Lighting up a Merkur passenger coach

Two weeks ago, I purchased 6 LED strips of Hufing Tronic with 10 LED's and suitable for both AC and DC operation on the MSCV swap meeting at Herwen. A friendly German grand-father taught me how to connect these strips. Anyway, since then I was busy to scratch-build the electrical pick-ups for the Merkur passenger coach. I used a small piece of aluminium sheet (4.6 x 2.8 x 0.2 cm) on which I glued to piece of Plexiglas (4.8 x 2.0 cm) on which I attached bent brass sheets to connect to the wheels and as third rail pick-up.

Well, the lighting in the passenger coach is now much better with 2 strips of 9 LED's each.
Now it is time to finish this assembly, by allowing the wires to run under the axle and to replace the third rail pick-up by a Merkur one. Then I will also have to apply some tape on the inside of the coach between the roof and the side panels, to block light.

No comments: